Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Adventure Time is Tops Blooby

I am an unashamed superfan of Adventure Time. This is a picture of the backs of my ankles. Yes, those are real tattoos.

My legs only look a little unshaven. Have you ever tried to shave over a fresh tattoo?
AT sometimes comes under attack for being a show for hipsters. I'm sure a lot of hipsters watch AT. It's a good show. It's funny and charming and sweet and disturbing and has on two occasions made me cry. But it's completely un-ironic in every way. Every story, even the one about the clown nurses or the ones with Lemongrab (especially the ones with Lemongrab), are told in earnest.

I can't even think about Cheers anymore.
AT has also evolved more than most live action hour long dramas. This season in particular has taken on some pretty serious topics, the most recent extended storyline revolving around Finn meeting his dad for the first time and finding out that he's a total donk.

Goddammit, I cried over this too!
Up until this season, no one knew anything about Finn's parents. He was the only human on the land of Ooo, which made him both unique and tragic. But he found his biological dad and dad turned out to be an intergalactic space criminal who caused Finn to lose an arm. It's a long story. It's an epic story. Told in tiny but brilliant 15 minute gulps with foreshadowing going all the way back to season 1.

I started watching AT because it was weird. I keep watching it because I fell in love. I fell in love with its innocence. I fell in love with how smart it is. I fell in love with its complex yet deceptively simple characters. I mean, Lumpy Space Princess is hilarious until you take 10 seconds to really think about her.


I've heard parents say that they won't let their kids watch it because it's stupid or has bathroom humor. It has a lot of bathroom humor and the characters do stupid things, but that doesn't make it stupid. And just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's only for kids.

I'm not asking haters to give it a chance. I'm not even really defending Adventure Time. I'm just rambling on and on about something I love a lot. And really, that's kind of what blogs are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment