Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I Liked It So Much I Put a Ring On it

Have you ever been completely taken off guard by a book? In a good way or bad way or somewhere in between? I'm feeling this way about the Vampire Academy books. See, I like them, and I feel guilty for liking them even though I told myself a long time ago that I would never feel guilty for liking a book.


I picked up the first book after being told that I might get to interview some people involved with the movie for Drunken Zombie, a blog/podcast that my husband is a part of. None of the manly men of Drunken Zombie wanted to read Vampire Academy, and I don't suppose I can blame them. I didn't want to read it either.

But.

But I kind of did. I had been eyeing it for a while. It looked intriguing, but I had been burned so many times by such horrid crap. There is so much god awful garbage in YA literature and I say this liking the publishing genre.


But I read the first book and I liked it, so I put a ring on it because I'm now reading the second book and will soon be onto the third. And I can only kind of tell you why.

Rose is a pretty cool character but Lissa makes me want to punch her. She's just such a victim all the time. But Rose? I like Rose. She's half human and half vampire and would just as soon punch you in the neck as talk to you. I guess I like that quality in a character. The world building is also pretty solid. I guess the first thing that will make me dislike a book is inconsistencies in world building. I can't read a book that doesn't make sense.

The series has its flaws for sure. There's a lot of brooding and making out and slut shaming and angst. But it all works. It all feels real. None of it is over dramatic.

I guess that's the bottom line - making sense. But I'm also sad that comprehension is all it takes to make me happy anymore.

This post was brought to you by Bianca del Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment