Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars 3/4 Report

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I don't usually read books like this, and by "like this" I mean the ones that are specifically written to make you pee tears out your eyes.

I hate crying. Crying for my own personal reasons is bad enough - I don't want to cry over fiction. And yeah, some fiction makes me cry. But TFiOS feels designed for that purpose. I generally don't want to read/watch/listen to something if I know going into that I'm going to cry. Crying makes me mad and when I get mad, I want to punch things.

This is me when I'm sad.
Anyway... as a YA librarian, I got to a point where I figured I either had to read this book or quit my job. Since the book is frigging everywhere. John Green is everywhere. Like a lot of other books and some authors, TFiOS and John Green have transcended the YA label.

But finishing the book is hard. It's well written. I enjoy it. I like the characters. Sometimes, it's funny. But the crying is going to happen. I should have finished it days ago, but I've been sitting there and putting off. Finishing it feels like when I used to wax my own eyebrows (I now pay someone else to do this). I would stand in front of the mirror with the wax strip on my face, taking deep breaths and counting 3... 2... 1... okay, 3... 2... 1... oh my god, for real now! 3... 2... 1... And would end up standing there for half an hour because I was afraid of the pain of ripping that strip off my face. I wonder if I could pay my hair stylist to read the end of TFiOS out loud to me so I didn't have to. Maybe finishing it would be less painful that way.

Jodie, do you have a two hour block free?
I know that this shouldn't be an easy book to read. Teens with terminal cancer isn't an easy topic. Ignoring difficult things does them a disservice. I know that. And yet, I still have never seen Schindler's List. I will never see or read 12 Years a Slave. On some level, this makes me a bad person because if these people have lived the horror, then the least I can do is acknowledge their suffering by reading their stories. And now I've just compared teens with cancer to the Holocaust and slavery. But of all the things in the world that suck, those three things are pretty high up on the list.

If you've read TFiOS, I'd love to know what you think. I'm going to go back to wishing for a snow day tomorrow so I can finish the book and blubber about it in peace.

1 comment:

  1. I liked it. I listened to it on and off over a years time so I dont think it hit me the same. I really dont read much "realistic" fiction unless someone I know or respect writes or recs it.

    ReplyDelete