Friday, February 28, 2014

Itty Bitty Book Reviews

Long and drawn out book reviews - ain't nobody got time for that!


Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick:


This cover is hideous. At first I thought it was a weird face with a heart for an eye and a knife hand with hair. None of the covers for this book are good. The book however, is worth checking out. First you should read it from beginning to end. Then, read it again from end to beginning. It's like Cloud Atlas if Cloud Atlas didn't suck. It's also the 2013 Printz Award winner.

Dangerous Women edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois:

 
Bottom line: TL;DR. This anthology is a hot mess. Some of the entries are awful, most are forgettable, and the only great one was by Lev Grossman. I'm annoyed with myself for buying this for my father in law before actually reading it.
 
 
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell:
 
 

I enjoyed this book. It was sweet and then sad and then sweet and sad all over again. However, this is one of those YA books that doesn't feel like it was written for YAs. I think it will appeal more toward slightly older, nostalgic As.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green:


If you haven't heard of this book by now, you're probably not reading this blog. If you haven't read this book by now, nothing I have to say will change that. I was finally browbeaten into reading this book. I didn't want to like it, but I did, but I don't like to admit to it.

Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn:


This book was both charming and strange. There's this kid, right? He thinks he might be a werewolf. He thinks he might have killed someone while wolfed out. Because, you know, he's done some pretty awful stuff in the past, which is why he lives at a boarding school and hasn't seen his family in four years. This book alternates between the past and the present and nothing is at all what it seems. P.S. I liked it.

Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World by Anne Jamison:


I do not like fanfiction. I have no desire to read it. However, I work with teens and many of them write it. I wanted to better understand fanfiction and this book served that purpose admirably. It was also a hell of a lot of fun to read.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline:


This book was straight up fun. I didn't get all of the 80s references and I'm not a really big gamer, but this book was still a badass adventure that I had no problem understanding. This is so far my favorite book that I've read in 2014, at least until I finish The Flight of the Silvers by Daniel Price. If you don't like this book, you don't like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment