Thursday, January 23, 2014

Re-focus, Re-purpose, Resume

I need to pay more attention to this blog. To that end, maybe it's time to expand the scope of what I discuss here. I love my job as a librarian but being a librarian is more than loving books. I mean, that's a huge part of it, but there are a million more things involved with hanging out in a giant book house all day.



The problem though is I don't know all of the million more things that come with being a librarian. I'm learning every day. I'm succeeding every day. I'm failing every day.

I'll tell you guys a secret. I'm not actually a librarian. I don't have an MLS and I never went to library school. I'm not even sure how I got my job, except that maybe I was so adorable that the director couldn't say no. My experience previous to getting hired at my library has been in fine arts administration/management with some teaching of English lit. and composition. I also wrote a couple of plays once. But, I don't have any fancy library school learnin' and according to some, that makes me a para-professional library worker as opposed to a librarian.

My thoughts in regard to that are this: I do have an MFA in creative writing. However, I don't go around telling writers that they can't call themselves writers if they don't have a degree in creative writing.
By that logic, this lady would not be a writer.
I know I have a lot to learn, but I spend 40 hours a week split between the reference desk and my own desk where I work on teen programming. In a library. Maybe I should make up my own title for what I do. If I can't be a librarian, the term "reference artist" has a nice ring to it.


I have also been a sandwich artist.
 

I'm also a baby-brarian. I've only been in my position for a little more than a year and 10 months of that time was spent preparing and moving our collection to a brand new facility. I'm finally just now getting to do fun stuff.

I make a lot of mistakes. I hate that about myself. I take pride in doing things right the first time, but real life doesn't always work that way. When life doesn't work that way, I want to punch it in the neck. I should probably get over that.

So, here we are. Same blog, different... focus? I'm still going to do book reviews. I love books - that will never change. But I plan on also exploring the mistakes I make as a reference artist and para-professional teen services library worker. There might be a lot of whining here and a lot of questions and a lot of uncertainty. But maybe once in a while, I will get something right too.

P.S. For the protection of those I work with and for, I'll be keeping names secret and specifics to a minimum. But my entries will be mostly about me anyway. And my quest for a pet library goat.

1 comment:

  1. Having people who are professional and trained in a job is good but there is also a good thing were having people who come from a different point of view or mysterious land to a position helps everything, overall. I've always thought companies should hire a mixture to create a better output of work.

    ReplyDelete