Saturday, February 2, 2013

Obligatory Welcome Post!

Hi! Welcome to Wizards and Rockets Reviews! All right, I think I've used up my exclamation point quota for at least the next five posts. But I am kind of excited to be writing a book blog.

There are few things I like more than reading, so when I was hired on as a full time reference assistant/teen librarian this past December, I felt like I landed my dream job. I get paid to help my community find answers to pressing questions and get their hands on sweet, sweet books for both research and entertainment. I also get to do my best to encourage the teens in my community to enjoy reading by running a YA book club (in addition to other programming), and adding books and graphic novels to my library's collection that I think they would enjoy. How cool is that?

Me going to work every day.
I figured that the next step would be to write about my reading experiences. About 95% of what I read is some form of sci-fi or fantasy, hence Wizards and Rockets. For example, I've recently re-entered the world of The Dresden Files after an almost two year hiatus. My husband discovered Harry Dresden's Chicago a few months ago and I'm reading along with him because I love book chats. I also can't let him finish a series before I do - he's not good at keeping spoilers to himself.

He was never, ever allowed to watch LOST without me.
I had given up on Dresden in the past because I found Butcher's work fairly mediocre. But in giving it a second chance, I'm having a hard time putting Dresden down to do things like shower, or sleep. I find that a lot of whether or not I like a book depends on mindset.  Maybe I'm in a better place to appreciate Dresden now than I was two years ago. Or maybe Butcher is evolving as a writer. More on that in the next post.

At any rate, I'm excited to start this blog and I'm excited for you to read it. I look forward to some excellent conversations and I hope you keep coming back. If you'll excuse me, I have about 100 pages left of Dead Beat, and there are only so many hours in a day...

No comments:

Post a Comment